Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: My first Altecs - 604-8H

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Are those even alinco? I thought they were ceramic by that time? I won't give my opinion on sending them out but you should have just ordered the phragms and put them in yourself. they just drop in and paying to ship them to GPA is gonna kill ya.

  2. #2
    Junior Hostboard Member Toph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 27th, 2014
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    Are those even alinco? I thought they were ceramic by that time? I won't give my opinion on sending them out but you should have just ordered the phragms and put them in yourself. they just drop in and paying to ship them to GPA is gonna kill ya.
    everything I've read said these are the last with Alnico, and first with the Mantaray Horn.

    I like the peace of mind knowing the magnets are up to spec and diaphragms installed correctly. Especially if they may be taking the place of my beloved JBLs!

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2011
    Posts
    368
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Welcome to the board Toph! Great purchase! 604's are great speakers with the right amp and source. With piano music and strings, I haven't heard better, with a good recording. I have 8g's with tangerines, and H's with less than 10 hours on them per the original owner. I haven't hooked them up yet. I would like to hear your impressions compared to your jbls. I have heard some very nice jbls and the clarity of the Altecs with the right recording can keep up with them.604's with some music, give my 19's a lesson in respect, but with some types of music its the other way around. Good luck!

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    My first Altecs - 604-8H


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Quote Originally Posted by Toph View Post
    everything I've read said these are the last with Alnico, and first with the Mantaray Horn.
    Right and Right again.. They are the last alnico version and the first with Mantaray horns.

  5. #5
    HB Super Moderator
    My first Altecs - 604-8H


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Can you post photos of the internals ? But basically you just swap out component for component. Take lots of closeup photos or draw a schematic or do both..It will help you put them back together properly.. I would change the Capacitors,resistors and the wiring..Leave the inductors ! They very rarely go bad and is a waste of money IMO.

  6. #6
    Junior Hostboard Member Toph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 27th, 2014
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Here are some photos -

    Also - the EQ/ATT Button Doesn't change positions when you press it - is it possible to fix or replace this button?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    My first Altecs - 604-8H


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    is there a red stripe on your schedule?
    Sonic Barbarian

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Usually they either just need cleaning and/or a little lubricant.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  9. #9
    Junior Hostboard Member Toph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 27th, 2014
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    is there a red stripe on your schedule?


    Actually, it's a Diabolical IPA

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Usually they either just need cleaning and/or a little lubricant.

    GM
    Awesome. What substance should I use to clean? De-Oxit?

  10. #10
    HB Super Moderator
    My first Altecs - 604-8H


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: My first Altecs - 604-8H

    Yes De-Oxit 5... Is all you need.That crossover is pretty straight forward and looks a lot like a model 19 XO.Only difference I can tell is there is one more cap and the EQ button.Don't know the values though of the caps and resistors. Just make sure the values are correct on your replacements.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.